Each cape and mask is double sided with an appliqued initial on one side. I used a modified version of Sherri's cape tutorial, from her thread riding hood blog, for the capes. I modified the shape and length a bit according to my kids' sizes and I added some light weight stabilizer around the collars to make them a bit more stable.
I used some satin fabric from my stash for my daughter's pink puppy cape and adding the stabilizer really made a big difference in how it was laying. It's going to be a while before I'm convinced to use any kind of silky fabric again, that stuff is slippery!
For the masks, I used Dabbles and Babble's superhero mask templates. By adding a seam allowance I made them double sided by flipping them inside out. I also used a bit of stabilizer between the layers to help the mask keep it's shape and I really suggest that you don't cut out the eyes until after you satin stitch around the eye holes.
This was a great little summer project and my kids insist on wearing their capes everywhere. I think that I'm going to have to make a few for the nieces and nephews for Christmas too.