Monday, January 2, 2012

Quilt of Valor #3

I am well on my way to making my third quilt for the Quilts of Valor Foundation. I always enjoy the challenge of planning a new quilt that will honor a member or veteran of our armed forces.  It is also a time that I like to try patterns and techniques that I haven't done before.  I've always wanted to make a drunkards path quilt so I found the idea of making a patriotic version almost irresistible.  Without sounding too much like a commercial, I have to say that I do love my EQ7 program.  I was able to arrange the colors and layout on this quilt much easier than in the past.  The plan for this quilt was a bit of a happy accident while learning my EQ7.  After I had the quilt all laid out perfectly, I accidentally hit a button that flipped around some of my quilt blocks.  After realizing my error, I decided that I liked the accidental layout better.


This quilt will end up being around 60x72 inches and has 480 3 inch curved squares.  I have been using my newly acquired curve master foot to piece these blocks.  Piecing tight curves was a challenge, and I ruined about a dozen test blocks before I got used to the curve master, but now it is going along rather smoothly and I should have my blocks pieced and pressed in a few days.

1 comment:

  1. I think this will look lovely - I've never done curves - I'd like to try the Drunkard's path. How do you cut them out? Do you have a circle template and use the rotary cutter?
    I came over to see you from the small bog meet. Good luck with the blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...